Crime Reports
Q. Is my police report ready?
. Reports are usually ready for pick up in 5 to 10 working days.

Q. How do I get a copy of a crime report?
. Please call (510) 337-8411 or come to the Records Unit at 1555 Oak St, Alameda, Monday-Thursday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
You will be required to give:

  • Name
  • Picture I.D.
  • Date of birth
  • Report Number
  • Type of Report (e.g. traffic accident, crime, or other)
  • Date, time, and location of occurrence

Copies of releasable crime reports are available to authorized parties. Government Code 6254 and case law restricts the supplying of police reports in certain circumstances. Once a crime report is filed with the District Attorney's office, suspects, victims and other interested parties should contact the George E. McDonald Hall of Justice, 2233 Shoreline Drive, Alameda.

Q. Is there a cost to purchase my police report?
. Collision reports cost $10. Police reports cost $0.30 per page for the first five pages and $0.10 per page thereafter.

To purchase a copy of a releasable crime report, you must complete an "Application for Release of Information" request form by visiting our Records Unit, Monday through Thursday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m

Releasable reports should be available for purchase within 10 days of receipt of the request form, unless the investigation is incomplete. When the report is ready, a Records Clerk will contact you for pick up.
You will need to show a picture I.D. and pay the fee at that time.

For information about the status of your request, please contact the Records Unit at (510) 337-8411,
Monday through Thursday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.


Towed Vehicles / Traffic Citations
Q. My vehicle was towed and I need to know where it is. Can you tell me where it is?
To locate your vehicle the following information is required:

  • Vehicle license plate number or VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) number
  • Registered owner's name and address
  • Year of vehicle and vehicle make
  • Last known location of vehicle

Q. What are the fees for a towed vehicle?
If your vehicle was towed for any reason, other than a recovered stolen vehicle, the fee is $125.00 (cash or credit during normal Records business hours, cash only during non-business hours) payable at the time of release. There will be additional fees at the tow company for their services. If you are a victim of a stolen vehicle, the Alameda Police Department fee of $125.00 is waived. However, there will be additional fees at the tow company.

If your vehicle was towed because the driver was unlicensed or had a suspended license, the registered owner must come to a tow hearing on Tuesdays or Thursdays at 2 pm. It is suggested you arrive at the police department by 1:45 p.m. You must bring proof of ownership and the $125 fee (cash only). There will be additional fees at the tow company for their services. A licensed driver, proof of insurance and current registration must also be brought to the tow hearing.

Q. Can someone else pick up my vehicle release?
A. Yes, but the following is required:

  • A letter with your signature authorizing the person to pick up your vehicle
  • A legible copy of your driver's license or identification card
  • The person picking up the vehicle release must have a valid driver's license

Q. I was issued a ticket. How do I pay it?
. Moving violation citations are paid at Wiley W. Manuel Courthouse, 661 Washington Street, Oakland, (510) 627-4701.

For parking citations, click here.

Equipment violation citations can be signed off at the Alameda Police Department.


Crime Statistics
Q. I want to buy a house in a certain neighborhood. How can I find out what kind of crimes have occurred there?
A. Complete a request form at the Records Counter, Monday through Thursday 10 to 4 p.m. You will be contacted when the report is ready for viewing. A fee will be charged should you wish to purchase a copy of the report. Call the Crime Analyst at (510) 337-8411 for further information.



Q. How do I file a compliment for an officer/police technician who provided excellent service?

A.  We always like to hear if we do a good job. If there is a specific officer/police technician you want to recognize, please take the time to call the on duty Patrol Sergeant at (510) 337-8824 and provide your contact information for a call back if he/she is not available. OR, you can write a quick letter addressed to the Chief of Police, so a copy of it can be submitted to the officer/police technician's personnel file for recognition.  If you do not have,  or do not remember the officer/police technician's name when you call, please provide the date and time of the contact so the on duty Patrol Sergeant can research the call and provide that infromation to you.


Q. How do I file a complaint against an officer/police technician?

A.  Sometimes we can do better and we always want to improve. To file a complaint,  review the Citizen Complain Brochure, Click Here.  After viewing the Citizen Complain Brochure, if you want to speak to an on duty Patrol Sergeant, call (510) 337-8824 and provide your contact information for a call back if he/she is not available.  If you want to file a formal complaint, you can download a formal complaint form, Click Here, and come to APD to drop off the completed form at the front counter with the on duty Patrol Sergeant or Inspectional Services Sergeant.


Q. How can I find out if I have a warrant?
. Alameda Police Department does not give out warrant information over the telephone. Please respond to any police department or local court with a valid I.D. to ascertain a warrant status.


Restraining Orders

Q. Where do I go to get a restraining order served?
Contact the Alameda County Sheriff's Office. They provide restraining order service for a fee. The Alameda Police Department only serves Emergency Protective Orders (EPO)