There are lots of opportunities for volunteers aged 16 and over at the library. Our current openings include:
- Sorting and shelving
- Preparing checked in materials for shelving, shelving materials, and maintaining shelved materials
- Staffing the Information Desk
- Greeting customers and providing directions to the library's staff and facilities
- Reading to preschool children
- Reading to groups of of Head Start preschool children for 30-45 minutes at various locations in Alameda (training provided but you will need your own transportation)
- Providing computer instruction
- Special Projects
If you are interested in spending some time working with us, please:
- Complete the Library Volunteer Application Form (PDF) Volunteer Application form and leave it at any library branch
- You will be contacted for a brief in-person or telephone interview
- You can request, be selected for, and then placed into a particular job or jobs
- You will receive orientation including a tour of the building, introduction to the library staff, and review of the volunteer policy
- There will be additional job orientation and training for your volunteer job.
If you would like more information, please call Circulation Coordinator Kevin Tam at (510) 747-7744.