When you sign your library card, you agree to follow the rules and regulations of the library.
Your assigned 4 digit PIN number is the last 4 digits of your phone number. If you prefer another PIN number, you may ask Library staff to change it, or change it yourself through the Library website in the PROFILE screen.
The following rules apply to the borrowing of materials from the library.
1. You are responsible for all items borrowed on your card.
2. Books, magazines, and audio cassettes are loaned for 3 weeks and may be renewed once providing there are no holds placed on that title.
3. Books, audio cassettes and magazines may be renewed by telephone.
4. To replace a lost or stolen card, a fee of $2 will be charged.
5. Damaged barcodes are subject to a replacement cost of $0.50 each.
6. You will be charged a fine for each overdue item. You will not be charged for days the library is closed.
7. You may use your card at the Main library and all branches. You must have your library card with you to check out materials.
8. Library cards may be used to check out up to 10 magazines, 5 video titles, 5 audio titles, 5 DVDs, 2 Playaways and a reasonable number of books at any one time. However, there is a limit of 4 books per subject at the Main library and 4 books per subject from the children's collection and at the branches.
If you would like the Library to purchase a title that isn't currently in our collection, please fill out this form and make certain to check "Purchase Request". Your request will be submitted to the collection development Librarian for that subject.
Interlibrary Loan Service
The Alameda Free Library can call upon a national network of lending libraries if a requested title is not available in our collection. The final decision on whether or not to lend an item is left to the discretion of the lending library, so acquisition of requested items is not guaranteed. Any fees imposed by the lending library are the responsibility of the Alameda customer. The Alameda customer is also responsible for any late, lost or damaged fees. To make an Interlibrrary Loan request you can complete this form, or contact a Librarian at any of our locations.
Large Print Books
Fiction and non-fiction books with easy-on-the-eyes typeface are available in the Main Library and the branches.
You may borrow all items for three weeks. You may renew most items for three more weeks, unless another patron has placed it on reserve. Because of high demand, Videos and DVDs cannot be renewed.
You may renew items in person at any Alameda Free Library location, by telephone by calling (510) 523-7091, or online at www.alamedafree.org. Have your library card and the item to be renewed at hand when calling.
Alameda Reads: Adult Literacy Program, (510) 865-2454
Specially trained volunteers provide one-on-one tutoring in reading and writing for English-speaking adults.
Outreach Service, (510) 747-7742
Upon request, the library will deliver books to patrons who are unable to visit the library or are in convalescent hospitals.