NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR POET LAUREATE
Submission deadline: 5:00 p.m. APRIL 24, 2017
The City of Alameda wishes to appoint a local writer as Alameda’s next Poet Laureate.
If you are an active poet and you live in Alameda, you are invited to apply for this position.
What is a Poet Laureate?
The honorary position of Poet Laureate is given to a writer who uses poetry to express and celebrate a spirit of community throughout the year and to foster a love of poetry and literature among citizens young and old. Established poets who live in Alameda are eligible to apply.
What does the Poet Laureate do?
- The Poet Laureate writes poems throughout the year and participates in community events, education, and readings.
- The Poet Laureate will write at least one commemorative poem to be read at the City Council meeting at which their appointment is made
- The Poet Laureate encourages citizens to express their literary creativity
- The Poet Laureate will promote and showcase original works of citizens
- The Poet Laureate creates works of the written word that commemorates special events in the life of the City of Alameda
- Applicant must be a resident of Alameda for at least two years
- Applicant must have an established history of activity in the Alameda literary community, i.e., readings, publications, public presentations, and/or teaching
- Applicant will have demonstrated a commitment to and passion for poetry and embrace the opportunity to engage in community service to make poetry more accessible and available to all ages.
- Applicant must be willing to promote poetry in Alameda
The Poet Laureate shall be appointed by the Mayor of the City of Alameda based upon the recommendation of the Selection Committee. The Selection Committee may consist of the Library Director; at least one member of the Library Board or the Friends of the Library; and one member of the Alameda Island Poets.
The Selection Committee reviews the candidates’ qualifications and depending on the number of candidates, provides a short list of 3-5 qualified candidates to the Mayor for appointment. The Mayor will select the Poet Laureate from that short list.
Application Deadline: April 24, 2017
Applications must be sent to the Alameda Poet Laureate Review Committee at the following address. Hand deliveries must be received no later than 5:00PM on the deadline date; mail deliveries must be postmarked on or before the deadline date. Material submitted will not be returned.
All material must be clearly addressed to the Alameda Poet Laureate Selection Committee.
Mailing Address and Hand Delivery Address
Alameda Free Library
Attn: Alameda Poet Laureate Selection Committee
1550 Oak StreetAlameda, CA 94501