Frequently Asked Questions

The City Attorney handles legal matters specific to the City of Alameda and prosecutes violations of the ordinances of the City.


The District Attorney’s office prosecutes all misdemeanor and felony matters arising under state law occurring within Alameda County.  For inquiries regarding criminal cases involving the District Attorney’s office, please call (510) 272-6222 or visit its website as

  • Download and complete the City Claim Form (See Filing a Claim for link); or

  • Pick up a City Claim Form from the City Attorney's Office - 2263 Santa Clara Avenue, room 280, or City Clerk's Office - 2263 Santa Clara Avenue, room 380; or

  • Call the City Attorney’s Office (510-747-4750) and request that a City Claim Form be emailed to you.

The City Clerk will forward the claim to the City Attorney's Office. A claim must be filed with the City Clerk's Office in a timely fashion as prescribed by law.  The Risk Manager oversees all claims.



Alameda County Law Library

125 - 12th Street
Oakland, CA 94612
(510) 208-4800


Every county in California has a law library that is open to the public and free to use.  You can find a link to each library’s website on San Francisco Law Library’s website


No.  The City Attorney is the attorney for the City of Alameda.  The City Attorney’s Office provides legal services to the Mayor, City Council, City Clerk, City Boards and Commissions, and all city departments of the City of Alameda. 


For a list of organizations in Alameda County that may be helpful to citizens in seeking legal representation and/or answers to general legal questions please visit the Resources section of the City Attorney webpage.


The Alameda Municipal Code can be accessed at:

  1. (You can search within the Alameda Municipal Code for a particular topic or section);
  2. The Alameda Main Library, as well as its branches, has a copy of the Alameda Municipal Code; to
  3. Contact the City Clerk's Office at City Hall, 2263 Santa Clara Avenue, Room 380, 510-747-4800.

For zoning and planning issues, call the Planning Division of the Community Development Department at (510) 747-6800 or (510) 747-6850.



Superior Court of the County of Alameda - Small Claims Court locations


Wiley W. Manuel Courthouse,

661 Washington Street,

Oakland, CA 94607



Hayward Hall of Justice

24405 Amador Street

Hayward, CA 94544


Small Claims actions can also be filed at:



George E. McDonald Hall of Justice

2233 Shoreline Drive
Alameda, California 94501
Phone: (510) 263-4300