Thank you for considering a donation of books or other materials to the Alameda Free Library. For the most part, books which you donate are sold in the Friends of the Library's semi-annual book sales. Books which are of particular interest to the Library are retained and placed in our collections. Either way, your gift is very welcome and provides a financial benefit to the Library!
The Friends of the Library accepts materials in good condition:
- New and used books, hardcover and paperback
- DVD and VHS movies
- Phonograph records
- Audio books - on CD or cassette tape
- Music CDs
Unfortunately, the Friends CANNOT accept:
- Encyclopedias more than 10 years old
- Individual textbooks with excessive highlighting or underlined notes
- Multiple copies of classroom textbooks
- Magazines (small numbers of popular magazines may be left in the free "Magazine Exchange" box located in Dewey's Friends Cafe)
Please follow these guidelines when donating materials:
1. Up to one small box or one bag of books, can be delivered to any library during open hours.
2. Anything larger than a small box or one bag should be taken to the Main Library at 1550 Oak St. during open hours.
3. The best time to drop off donations is to take them directly to the Friends Book Room (separate entrance on Times Way) on Monday between 9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. The members of Friends Book Sale Committee are at the library sorting donations on Mondays during these hours and will gladly accept your donations.
4. If you cannot drop donations off on a Monday, please take them to the Main Library during regular business hours.
5. Donations can be left on the donation cart located in Dewey's Friends Cafe. All materials should be in boxes.
6. If you are unable to deliver the materials to the library, the Friends of the Library can pick up donations in Alameda only.
To arrange for a pick up on the main island, please call (510) 521-7745.
If you live on Bay Farm Island, please call (510) 865-0347 to arrange for pickup.