Frequently Asked Questions

The City’s Employment Application can be downloaded in Adobe PDF format and either mailed or dropped off in person to the Human Resources Department.

Call (510) 747-6830 from 7:30am to 8:30am Monday through Thursday to speak to a building inspector. Please be prepared to give the inspector the job address and permit number. Inspections should be scheduled at least two days in advance.

Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 7:30am until 4:30pm. Tuesdays from 7:30am until 4:00pm. The department is closed to the public on Fridays.

Permit histories are available online for all permits dating back to 1982. For a complete, certified permit history for all work back to 1909 please visit the Permit Center.

Yes, it is possible to order copies of commercial and residential plans through the Permit Center. However, if the plans are stamped and/or signed by a licensed engineer or architect, a letter of release from the licensed professional must be provided to a staff member for approval before copies can be ordered.

Plans without licensed professional stamps and/or signatures can be readily ordered. Please contact the Permit Center for cost related to copies at (510) 747-6800.

Fences over six feet high require permits. Fences that are six feet or less in height do not require permits.


According to the local Zoning Ordinance, fences located within residential districts may be permitted if they meet the minimum setbacks. For example, on corner lots, fences are restricted to thirty-inches nearest the radius of the street corner. To verify fence height requirements on your property, contact a Planning Department staff member at (510) 747-6850.

You will only need a permit if your detached asscessory structure is more than 120 square feet OR more than 12 feet high. Even if your structure is smaller than this, you may need planning approval for setback requirements.

Beginning July 1, 2011 all single family dwellings must have carbon monoxide detectors installed outside of each separate dwelling unit sleeping area in the immediate vicinity of the bedroom(s) and on every level of a dwelling unit including basements. See handput for further details.

Monday through Saturday 7:00am to 7:00pm

Just fill out this form and submit it to

Code Enforcement

2263 Santa Clara Ave, Rm. 190

Alameda, CA 94501


or Fax to (510) 747-6804

Please contact Code Enforcement staff at (510) 747-6800 for further details.

Because it is a misdemeanor to do so unless you have a written notification from the Chief Building Official.

Please refer to this Asbestos Fact Sheet from the California Department of Public Health.

Visit the California Department of Public Health website. The City's inspectors are not mold specialists and cannot conduct any specialized mold testing.

Unfortunately this is a civil issue. Visit your local library and check out "Neighbor Laws". This book will be a good resource on what you can or cannot do.

Please contact the Housing Development Division  at (510)747-4316.

All individuals, partnerships, corporations, and sole proprietors conducting business in the City of Alameda are required to have a business license. This includes persons dealing with residential and commercial real estate rentals or who operate home-based businesses within the city. For more information contact the Finance Department at (510) 747-4881.

The Alameda One-Stop Career Center located at the College of Alameda helps local businesses with training, pre-screening and interviewing of applicants, and with referrals of pre-qualified candidates. The One-Stop Center draws its applicants from college students, Alameda residents, and 14 other area centers that form the East Bay Works labor resource pool. For more information, please contact the One-Stop Career Center at (510) 748-2208.

If you need help starting or growing a small business, please contact the City’s Economic Development Department at (510)747-6890.  You may also download our “How to Start a Business Guide” and refer to the Starting a Business section of our website.

Currently the City does not have any property for sale.  For property to lease, please contact the City’s property management company, PM Realty Group at (510) 749-0304.

Contact the Alameda County Sheriff's Office, (510) 667-7721. They provide restraining order service for a fee. The Alameda Police Department only serves Emergency Protective Orders (EPO)

Alameda Police Department does not give out warrant information over the telephone. Please go to any police department or local court with a valid I.D. to determine a warrant status.

Sometimes we can do better and we always want to improve. To file a complaint,  review the Citizen Complain Brochure, Click Here.  After viewing the Citizen Complain Brochure, if you want to speak to an on duty Patrol Sergeant, call (510) 337-8824 and provide your contact information for a call back if he/she is not available.  If you want to file a formal complaint, you can download a formal complaint form, Click Here, and come to APD to drop off the completed form at the front counter with the on duty Patrol Sergeant or Inspectional Services Sergeant.

We always like to hear if we do a good job! If there is a specific officer/police technician you want to recognize, please take the time to call the on duty Patrol Sergeant at (510) 337-8824 and provide your contact information for a call back if he/she is not available. OR, you can write a quick letter addressed to the Chief of Police, so a copy of it can be submitted to the officer/police technician's personnel file for recognition.  If you do not have or remember the officer/police technician's name, when you call, please provide the date and time of the contact so the on duty Patrol Sergeant can research the call and provide that infromation to you.

Complete a request form at the Records Counter, Monday through Thursday from 10 to 4 p.m. You will be contacted when the report is ready for viewing. A fee will be charged should you wish to purchase a copy of the report. Call a Records Clerk at (510) 337-8411 for further information.

Moving violation citations are paid at Wiley W. Manuel Courthouse, 661 Washington Street, Oakland, (510) 627-4701.

For parking citations, Click Here.

Equipment violation citations can be signed off at the Alameda Police Department or by any police officer in any city.

Yes, but the following is required:

  • A letter with your signature authorizing the person to pick up your vehicle.
  • A legible copy of your driver license or identification card.
  • The person picking up the vehicle release must have a valid driver license.
  • The vehicle must be currently registered and insured.

If your vehicle was towed for any reason, other than a recovered stolen vehicle, the fee is $125.00 (cash or credit during normal Records business hours; cash only during non-business hours) payable at the time of release. There will be additional fees at the tow company for their services. If you are a victim of a stolen vehicle, the Alameda Police Department fee of $125.00 is waived; however, there will be additional fees at the tow company.

If your vehicle was towed because the driver was unlicensed or had a suspended license, the registered owner must come to a tow hearing on Tuesdays or Thursdays at 2 pm. It is suggested you arrive at the police department by 1:45 p.m. You must bring proof of ownership and the $125 fee (cash only). There will be additional fees at the tow company for their services. A licensed driver, proof of insurance, and current registration must also be brought to the tow hearing.

To locate your vehicle the following information is required:

  • Vehicle license plate number or VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) number.
  • Registered owner's name and address.
  • Year of the vehicle and vehicle make.
  • Last known location of vehicle.

Collision reports cost $10. Police reports cost $0.30 per page for the first five pages and $0.10 per page thereafter.

To purchase a copy of a releasable crime report, you must complete an "Application for Release of Information" request form by visiting our Records Unit, Monday through Thursday, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Releasable reports should be available for purchase within 10 days of receipt of the request form, unless the investigation is incomplete. When the report is ready, a Records Clerk will contact you for pick up.
You will need to show a picture I.D. and pay the fee at that time.

For information about the status of your request, please contact the Records Unit at (510) 337-8411,
Monday through Thursday, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Please call (510) 337-8411 or come to the Records Unit at 1555 Oak St, Alameda, Monday-Thursday, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
You will be required to give:

  • Name
  • Picture I.D.
  • Date of birth
  • Report Number
  • Type of Report (e.g. traffic accident, crime, or other)
  • Date, time, and location of occurrence

Copies of releasable crime reports are available to authorized parties. Government Code 6254 and case law restricts the supplying of police reports in certain circumstances. Once a crime report is filed with the District Attorney's office, suspects, victims, and other interested parties should contact the Wiley W. Manuel Courthouse, 661 Washington Street, Oakland, CA (510) 268-7500.

Reports are usually ready for pick up at the Records window at APD in 5 to 10 working days.

Current job opportunities are listed here.

View open positions and apply either online, in person, or by mail.

Create an online profile at to be automatically notified when the City opens a new recruitment.

New jobs are posted as positions become available.

The recruitment bulletin will contain a list of the job duties and the minimum requirements of a current recruitment. To view the job duties and requirements of a position not currently open, click here.

Applications are only accepted for positions that are currently open for recruitment. The City does not keep applications or resumes on file. Create an online profile at to be automatically notified when the City opens a new recruitment.

The City does not keep applications on file. Applications are only accepted for positions that are currently open for recruitment. Create an online profile at to be automatically notified when the City opens a new recruitment.

Resumes are not accepted in lieu of a City application, but if you are applying for an open position it can be attached or uploaded with your application.

Typically, notifications are sent by email 2-3 weeks after the closing date of a job. After that time, applicants can email to inquire on the status of the recruitment.

View Benefits by bargaining unit or click on the specific position you are interested in for the relevant Benefits link.

Claim forms are available from the City Attorney's Office.

2263 Santa Clara Avenue, Suite 280

Alameda, CA 94501

The claim must be filed with the City Clerk's Office within 6 months from the date of the incident.  The City Clerk will then forward it to the City Attorney's Office. All claims are administered by the Risk Manager.

Alameda County Law Library 125 - 12th Street
Oakland, CA 94612
(510) 208-4800


No. The City Attorney cannot provide legal advice to private citizens.
However, the following organizations in Alameda County may be helpful to citizens in seeking
legal representation and/or answers to general legal questions:
     Law Center for Families
     510 16th Street, Suite 300
     Oakland, CA 94612
     (510) 451-9261
     Alameda County Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service
     (510) 302-2222
     70 Washington Street, Ste 200
     Oakland, CA 94607
     Free Legal Counsel Night at the Library, 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.
     (Main Library - first Wednesday of every month)
     1550 Oak Street
     Alameda, CA 94501
     (510) 747-7713

Please contact the Human Resources Department at 510-747-4900.  Staff can verify employment including the position title, employment hire and separation dates.  Salary information can be obtained by faxing your request to 510-865-4043.  A signed release may be required.

City Clerk's Office at City Hall
2263 Santa Clara Avenue, Room 380
Alameda, CA 94501
(510) 747-4800


A set of the Alameda Municipal Code Books are located in the Alameda Main Library as well as its branches for citizens' use, and the Municipal Code is available online.


If further clarification of a code is required, call the City Attorney's Office at (510) 747-4750. For zoning and planning issues, call the Planning Department of the Community Development Department at (510) 747-6800 or (510) 747-6850.


Superior Court of the County of Alameda



2233 Shoreline Drive

Alameda, CA 94501

(510) 263-4305

The City provides ambulance transport services, it is not a private ambulance service. This allows the City to provide a higher level of service to the community than would be possible if they contracted with a private provider.


This is evident in the faster response times to medical emergencies to initiate care that the current service provides. In critical medical emergencies where seconds can make a difference between life and death this is a very important detail.

A fire truck, also known as a ladder truck, carries multiple ground ladders of varying length and purpose; an aerial ladder used to reach upper floors of buildings; rescue equipment for forcible entry, extrication, etc; numerous power tools such as chain saws, ventilation fans, and lighting equipment.


A fire engine, also known as a fire pumper, carries thousands of feet of fire hose, nozzles, hose couplings and other equipment. It also carries 500 gallons of water in a tank for a quick attack on a fire which is critical to fire control until they can establish a dedicated water supply from a fire hydrant.

Multiple fire engines and/or trucks will only show up to a single vehicle accident if there are extenuating circumstances involved which could require additional personnel. An example of this would be an accident with someone trapped in a vehicle who needs extrication.


Under this circumstance we would send a fire engine, with a paramedic, and carrying hose and water supply. This is necessary as there is a potential for fire in any vehicle accident. We would also send a fire truck which carries rescue equipment and power tools. All of these operations require enough trained personnel to manipulate equipment and extricate the trapped person successfully.  Under these circumstances we would also have an ambulance respond in case there is a medical emergency.

A fall for a senior citizen is often a very frightening and sometimes life altering incident. One of the major causes of traumatic injuries to seniors is from falling down. We take these types of emergency responses very seriously because of our experience.


The Alameda Fire Department is required to comply with the Alameda County Emergency Medical Services protocols call for medical emergencies. These protocols require a fire engine or truck with at least one paramedic to be on scene at all emergency medical calls. They also require a transport provider (ambulance) to respond with at least one paramedic to all emergency medical calls.


In Alameda the Fire Department provides ambulance first responder (fire engine or truck) and transport provider (ambulance) services. In other parts of the County a private ambulance company provides the transport services. So, for example, if you are involved in a medical emergency in Hayward, a Hayward Fire Engine and a Paramedics Plus ambulance will show up.

Firefighters in Alameda work a 48 consecutive hour shift. They work together as a three person crew on a fire engine or truck or as a two person crew on a fire ambulance. Keeping the crew together at all times is critical to facilitate responses to emergencies. Breaking up a crew to send one person shopping or on other details would delay these responses.


While they are on duty they eat their meals at the firehouse. In order to purchase the food they need they shop at local establishments. When you see a fire engine or fire truck at a grocery store it is because the firefighters assigned to that engine or truck are still able to respond to an emergency from that location. They often leave their groceries behind to respond and then come back afterwards to finish their shopping.


One last fact, firefighters pay for all their own meals while they are at work.